Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Spring Birthday and Tutorial

This is not a birthday for Spring.  It is a birthday card made WITH a spring, as in "boing" type spring.

It was very fun to make this card.  I wanted to depict the Happy Birthday song and thus the musical notes stamp by Gina K Designs.  I stamped it with my spectrum pad .  The sentiment is Verve.  It is  has a spring under it.  When you touch it, it wiggles.  I made one for my DIL and loved it so much, I made several more to send to OWH.Great for mailing - dimension but not bulk.

I know you can buy these springs but this is how I made mine:

Use a very fine wire, 26 or 28.

Wrap it around something that is 1/2 inch in diameter one and a half times.




Cut. Remove from dowel. Using a piece of tape, tape down one end of wire to a circle of cardstock (this one is 1 1/4 inches in diameter)

Now put another piece of tape on the other end  with the glue side facing up.


Carefully put the second circle of the top so they are glued together like a sandwich.







For the final step, I use Scoretape on both outer sides of circles but you could use any double sided tape or maybe even glue.


Glue it to the image that you want to spring off the page.  Very fun for frogs, dragonflies, balloons, or anything that you want some movement to.

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial.  I would LOVE to see what you create with this technique!  You can email me a pic at my email account  mkdrain at gmail dot com.

Challenges:
Partytime Tuesday - anything
Bearly Mine - anything
Aud Sentiments - birthday
Sister Act - anything
CASual Fridays - birthday





11 comments:

  1. Cute! Great idea with the wire, too! Thanks for joining us at Sister Act Card Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card Marsha, love your design..Thanks for joining us at Bearly-Mine this week and hope to see you again..Good Luck..Hugs Lozzy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your spring tutorial - now why didn't I think of that!!! Cute cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a bright and cheerful card and I love your 'Spring' idea too.
    Thanks for joining us at Bearly Mine this week.

    Sharon (DT) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That spring is such a cute idea!! and your card is really nice. I'm loving those music notes and how you made them as the birthday song:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great card! The idea of the spring is so great! I love it. I will save the idea for later.... And I love the colored mosic notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously love this! Totally cute design and great execution! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great idea. Thanks for playing at Aud Sentiments, hope you have remembered to do the hop.

    Hugs Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful project. Loved the tutorial. Thanks for joining us in our 3rd birthday celebration at Aud Sentiments
    Hugs,
    Julie T

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card, and great tut. Thank you for sharing with us at BearlyMine design challenges this week. Jackie. SDT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHat an amazing stamp! and is that a big 'n' juicy?

    ReplyDelete